Friday, November 10, 2006

A Handful of Treasure

I close my hand
Clutching tightly to the treasure within
As I pass by others
I share some of what I hold
They in turn, share with me their treasures

I'm always careful though,
Of how much I give
And what others are allowed to take
What I hold is precious
When invested properly, the benefits are untold millions

As I go along, meeting and greeting
My grip loosens and the treasure begins to slip
I become aware of this and try in vain to hold on harder
Like tiny grains it slips out of my grasp
A few at first and then the floodgates seem to be loosed

For you see, it was never mine to hold
Never mine to replenish and ration
We all try in vain to hold on to time
Such a rare thing, vanishing before our eyes

Make the moments count
That's what we always say, for all too soon they are gone
We invest our time in others and the reward is relationships
Too often we invest time in trivial and vain things
Things that turn brittle and break with the ever passing time

I close my hand
Clutching tightly to the treasure within
Hand in hand we walk towards the rest of our time
Whether we have a few grains or a whole storehouse left
We'll walk together
Hand in hand

November 10, 2006

No comments: