Friday, December 01, 2006

Meeting With The Gatekeeper

I walked up to the clerk's desk
May I help you?
he asked in a monotonous drone
I thought he must be tired
I need to find a very important date
Do you know the approximate time frame?
I'm not quite sure where to begin
I need to know the day I started to fade

Pardon me ma'am?
I know you probably think I'm crazy
but this is important information
which may prevent complete insanity

He gave me a look that said
"I think you're crazy already"
Can you pinpoint a place or season
that reminds you of when the change began?

It was about this time,
three or four years ago

A scene flashed before my eyes
startled, I jumped and blinked it away
Yes, I remember, there was snow
He began typing information
and I heard the computer come alive

Oh my, this is quite interesting indeed
What is it sir?
There is no easy way to say this
the time you gave me is right around the date
you died
Time stopped
What was he talking about?
I wasn't dead! I have friends, a job, a normal life!
You must be mistaken
No, ma'am, I typed in all your information
the database isn't wrong and can't be tampered with
I'm not dead! I see people everyday
I have conversations, eat, sleep and go about my life
If I'm dead, tell me how it happened?

He breathed, a sigh of annoyance it seemed
He typed and called up more information on the screen
You died of a broken spirit
which could explain the fading
You didn't see that you were dead, and chose to live on
but as time kept going, your features, your very self was becoming less noticeable
People don't think of you as much, it's been four years
The reason you still see yourself is there are a few who remember

I let the news sink in
memories came flooding back, nearly overwhelming my being

I remember that day now
it is more real to me than anything else

Snow had freshly fallen, giving a new layer to the already thick blanket
I can hear my family's voices as if they were in the room with us
Silence falls as the memories play out in my mind
Wrapping paper, opened boxes and a tree in the centre of the room
Smells of turkey, stuffing and potatoes cooking asail my senses
It's Christmas day
Yes, you're right
What else do you remember?
The lights dim, voices raise
an object flies across the room

Stop! I don't want to go back there!
You're almost there, just a few more thoughts and it's over
If only I knew the true impact of his words
Going back to that day I hear a door slam
A small girl is crying and holding her self in a tight ball
Somewhere in the distance, yet closer than I know
glass shatters
Darkness surrounds me
Opening my eyes and blinking against the light I find I'm on the floor
Are you ready now?
Ready? What happened?
Ma'am, I am the Gatekeeper
I've been waiting for you to come for a long while now
There is another who is waiting
Are you ready to meet Him?
I know why I've come
yes, I think I'm ready
I've been waiting too
The gates open and I'm ushered in by the Gatekeeper
Welcome Home Daughter!

December 1,2006

No comments: